27 June 2011

American Flag Wall Hanging--"Out of Many, One"

I've been wanting to make something to decorate my apartment for the fourth of July, and yesterday, I came up with a great idea!  I'm so excited to make it.  I'll post a tutorial later (probably after the 4th--I'll have to race to get the wall hanging itself done in time), but here's the design:


The blocks are 2" square (finished size--cut 2 1/2" square), so the wall hanging will be...let's see...22 x 14 inches. I may or may not put a border on.
As you can see, I'm planning to use lots of different fabrics.  In fact, here are my options:



I probably won't end up using every fabric I have, but I really like the idea of putting together all these different fabrics into one American display.  It just seems so appropriate, since we're a nation of immigrants--a "melting pot" of cultures.  (And it's a nice way to use up random scraps!)

For the quilting, I am planning to machine-quilt: E pluribus unum/ Out of many, one.

Happy crafting, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment! I love to hear from you--your comments make my day!

I've been getting a lot of spam comments lately, so I'll not be allowing anonymous comments for the time being. Sorry to any legitimate anonymous commenters!